You Can't Have Opinions About the Truth

...And sometimes it sucks.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Giving to the Poor

I slipped a $20 dollar bill to a newspaper vendor the other day and told him to keep the change. He was one of the many who stand all day on our highway medians hawking papers. As he took the money, I said "God bless" and became to him just another sap who thinks they're saving someone's soul with a few bucks.  I meant well but realized my error immediately. Just as we stereotype them, the poor stereotype US. I wanted to call him back, to explain that I don't give a shit whether he gets drunk, stoned or laid with the money, that I gave it with free will and no expectations. I wasn't trying to save his soul, although I hope he used it to buy groceries or pay rent.  It was just a simple gift.  Simple, but not so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment